2012年12月29日 星期六

Les Misérables - you might hate musicals but you will love this movie





Les Misérables the movie finally arrived Australia on 26th Dec, 2012. I have waited long enough for this movie to be filmed. Les Misérables has been my second favourite musicals of all time since I was in high school. I watched the stage version on...probably 2007 in London.


Its music is striking and the story so touching yet humorous at some point. The stage version never been put on DVD, there are only the Les Misérables concert where the performers stand in front of a mic a sing out the lines with no background settings, no movement, no acting. I love the 10th anniversary version and wish wish wish there will be a stage version on DVD someday with the dream cast - Colm Wilkinson as Valjean, Philip Quast  as Javert and Lea Salonga as Eponine. But I think they are all too old now to perform haha....nevermind, a film version is just what I'm waiting for too.

First looking at the cast list - Hugh Jackman as Valjean!? My first reaction was what!? Isn't he the wolf-man waving his claws around and biting people? Now he is the heroic, sophisticated Valijean!? I just could not believe it at the first place, I seriously thought Rusell Crowe is acting Valijean. Rusell Crowe is Javert, hmm, alright, nothing to complain of. Anne Hathaway as Fantine, NOW I am expecting something. Amanda Seyfried as Cossett, according to her performance in Mama Mia, I believe she will do a good job here and she just looks perfect to be Cossett. Eddie Redmayne as Maruis, not sure since I don't know him and I am just not a fan of Maruis so, I'm okay with anyone to act it. Another very important characters are Mr. and Mrs. Thenardier! They are the salt and pepper of Les Mis! I wouldn' t doubt that Sacha and Helena would do a lousy job here. 


Alright, so on 26th, I stepped into the Event Cinema in Sydney, excitedly holding 2 tickets that I have pre-booked almost a month ago, feeling like unwrapping a present on boxing day! When the first overture starts, my heart leaps, I feel like meeting an old friend again. The movie was very long, but I didn't feel like it. The story floated beautifully however, I could expect a little more details in between for those who never read the book or watched the musical. 3 hours passed in a flash, audiences clapped when it ends which was very unusual. I left the cinema feeling stroked, touched and I don't know...relieved. The movie surely did not film in a traditional way, the director uses lots of long shots and close-ups to capture the character emotions. And it worked! It was breathtaking when the actors are singing, it was a big thumb up for all the actors and actresses completing the song in just 1 take. It is a magical way to film this movie. However, sometimes the angle might in a weird position, for example the shot when Eddie sings his grief to his dead friend, the angle shooting Eddie's face was a bit strange. Suddenly it distracts me from grieving together with him. 


The first half of the movie can seems a bit rush, but it also gives no room for unnecessary plot. 


OKAY, now, Hugh Jackman singing, I used to doubt his voice. However, time proves me wrong, no, Hugh Jackman proves me wrong. If I only have to praised one person in the film, Hugh Jackman will be it. His voice is brilliant for singing Valijean, I had no idea he could sing like that, he just blown me away with his "acting voice". His version of Bring him home would be another classic, it is not perfect, but it delivers the emotions very well. 


Rusell Crowe as Javert seems OKAY to me, I like his acting as I always do. However, his singing is just terrible...He looks nervous while he is singing, I can imagine he thinking "OH no! What is the next note?" or "come on, I am Rusell Crowe, I cannot lose in a musical!" But nonetheless, I still love him. Despite of his singing, his acting was great, the way he acts Javert worked well to express the reserved, rightfulness character of his. 


Anne Hathaway sang I dream a dream well, perhaps very very well. Her version can easily be my favourite. I didn't like it at first when I heard it in the trailer, but in the movie, she sings and I see her face. Then everything makes sense. This is the emotions that I dream a dream needs to express, desperateness and fragility. Well done Anne.


Amanda Seyfried has an amazing voice and she is just the perfect actress to be Cossett. She can consider to be a part-time musical singer. :D


Eddie Redmayne gave me surprises, I thought he IS a singer. He sang so well just like a professional. 


I enjoyed every bit of the movie, the music, the singing, the settings. They all worked beautifully with each other and I have to give credits to Tom Hooper. He is a genius to record the sound live while they're acting, it surely gives their singing a lot more depth and emotions in it. And with all the close-ups, long shots, all the actors' emotions feel so real to me. I would rate this movie 8/10 and it easily becomes my best movie in 2012. I just need to wait and see if Life of Pi can beat it or not. :P

A few links to the 10th anniversary dream cast videos :



I dream a dream - Ruthie Henshall

Bring him home - Colm Wilkinson

Stars - Philip Quast

On my own - Lea Salonga







沒有留言:

張貼留言